Thursday, January 21, 2010

Overheard

I lay in bed resting before supper while Scully prepared the meal and the girls played in the bedroom beside mine.

The girls were chatting:
Gigi: I think there is a spirit in here.  (She always says she doesn't believe in them.)

Mimi: Gigi, there's no such thing as ghosts! (She actually sees them all the time.)

Gigi: Really, I just feel like there is one here with us.

Mimi: Oh.
I asked Gigi what she meant and who she thought it might be.  She shrugged: "I don't know.  I just feel like it's here."

Then, not much later, at the table, Gigi asked: "Mum, are ghosts real?"

"Well, some people believe they are and some don't."

"No, Mum! I need you to tell me if they are real or not."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. You're going to have to decide for yourself."

She growled at me.  She knows I believe in ghosts but I don't want to tell her what to believe; I want to promote independence of thought.

No comments: