Saturday, January 01, 2005

The Ghost Watcher and The Eye

First, let me explain that I generally choose my movies based upon the description on the back of the case. Also (and to the disappointment of my husband), I usually pay no attention to the fact that many movies seem to skip a theatrical release altogether.

These things being said, I rented both of the above-noted titles last week.

Ghost Watcher (2002): This is definitely a B movie and I couldn't sit all the way through it. Much of the acting was horrible. Apparently, if you do manage to sit through it, the end is creative. Umm...life in the current incarnation is too short.

The Eye (2002) (a.k.a. Jian gui): I quite enjoyed the acting and the premise (though a familiar one through popular television series) was compelling enough--blind girl, cornea transplant--to watch unfold in its entirety. It was filmed in Hong Kong. I was unfamiliar with the directors (Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang) and the actors but I absolutely love subtitles. While watching yesterday, I wished that I spoke Cantonese and Mandarin.

So, that is how I spent my New Year's Eve day.

No comments: