Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mind Over Matter

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand. - Stephen Wright

I once sat in the same room with a person who seriously believed that he could alter time. He also believed that, if I looked hard enough, I could watch him astrally project. Frankly, I couldn't find an excuse quickly enough to leave. My university years were, indeed, difficult: I found some solace in academia because it distracted me from...well, from myself.

As a teen, however, I had a voracious appetite for books about ghosts: it was largely due to the fact that I felt comforted by the sense that others experienced what I did. One area of the 'paranormal', however, always troubled me: psychokinesis.

"Hey," you might object. "You see dead people and make a living by telling people about their past, present and future. Why is the leap to a belief in mind-moving-matter so difficult to make?"

After a lifetime of experience in the area of the paranormal, I can honestly say that I don't know. It just is. (Years of studying Philosophy really paid off :-) The aforementioned gentleman was for this belief and other reasons, I believe, delusional; there are, however, presumably sane people who make claims about moving objects or determining outcomes using their mind.

Well, maybe it's because I can't do it that I find it hard to believe. It may exist, this mind-power, but I haven't yet witnessed it. (I was never convinced by Uri Gellar). Perhaps I'm not your typical psychic. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen; I'm saying that I simply don't actively believe in it.

Mind Under Matter

I also don't believe in the efficacy of throat lozenges, either, but I'm sucking on them constantly because I'm sick. We're all sick with the flu.

I'd like to will us to get better.

No comments: